In order to fulfill the broad objectives, INFLIBNET will do the following:
- Promote and implement computerisation of operations and services in the libraries and information centres of the country, following a uniform standard.
- Evolve standards and uniform guidelines in techniques, methods, procedures, computer hardware and software, services and promote their adoption in actual practice by all libraries, in order to facilitate pooling, sharing and exchange of information towards optimal use of resources and facilities.
- Evolve a national network interconnecting various libraries and information centres in the country and to improve capability in information handling and service.
- Provide reliable access to document collection of libraries by creating on-line union catalogue of serials, theses/dissertations, books, monographs and non-book materials (manuscripts, audio-visuals, computer data, multimedia, etc.) in various libraries in India.
- Provide access to bibliographic information sources with citations, abstracts etc. through indigenously created databases of the Sectoral Information Centres of NISSAT, UGC Information Centres, City Networks and such others and by establishing gateways for on-line accessing of national and international databases held by national and international information networks and centres respectively.
- Develop new methods and techniques for archival of valuable information available as manuscripts and information documents in different Indian Languages, in the form of digital images using high density storage media.
- Optimise information resource utilization through shared cataloguing, inter-library loan service, catalogue production, collection development and thus avoiding duplication in acquisition to the extent possible.
- Enable the users dispersed all over the country, irrespective of location and distance, to have access to information regarding serials, theses/dissertations, books, monographs and non-book materials by locating the sources wherefrom available and to obtain it through the facilities of INFLIBNET and union catalogue of documents.
- Create databases of projects, institutions, specialists, etc. for providing on-line information service.
- Encourage co-operation among libraries, documentation centres and information centres in the country, so that the resources can be pooled for the benefit of helping the weaker resource centres by stronger ones.
- Train and develop human resources in the field of computerised library operations and networking to establish, manage and sustain INFLIBNET.
- Facilitate academic communication amongst scientists, engineers, social scientists, academics, faculties, researchers and students through electronic mail, file transfer, computer/audio/video conferencing, etc.
- Undertake system design and studies in the field of communications, computer networking, information handling and data management.
- Establish appropriate control and monitoring system for the communication network and organise maintenance.
- Collaborate with institutions, libraries, information centres and other organisations in India and abroad in the field relevant to the objectives of the Centre.
- Create and promote R&D and other facilities and technical positions for realising the objectives of the Centre.
- Generate revenue by providing consultancies and information services.
- Do all other such things as may be necessary, incidental or conducive to the attainment of all or any of the above objectives. Hear this article