Objectives and Responsibility
Organization of vast information present on the Centre's website and making the website a resource gateway and a knowledge hub, to the user community is one of the main objectives of the INFLIBNET Centre. The web development group setup in promoting the access to the information in the field of research and academic pursuit by using latest web technologies is working towards in implementing this objective. The major areas of work undertaken by this group are to select, organise and present the quality resources of the Centre in a meaningful way that will be useful for the user community.
- INFLIBNET Site design and updating.
- Promoting the website of the centre and provide a complete tracking reports of users accessing the website.
- Maintenance of various web services running at the site.
- Identifying the Hardware, Software requirements in improving the Centre's Infrastructure with the latest available technologies.
- To install and provide support for the available software at the Centre and advice the participating libraries with regard to hardware and software requirement.
- Bringing out SOUL software CD's for all the versions i.e. SOUL network version, SOUL Standalone version & SOUL Demo version.
Well equipped with Pentium-IV systems running windows 98/2000 and Linux operating systems.
- Operating Systems: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, RHLES 4.0, Fedora 8.0/9.0
- RDBMS: MSSQL Server, Sybase , Oracle 9i ,MySQL
- Development Tools: PowerBuilder 6.0, Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0,Microsoft Visual Studio .Net, Oracle, PHP
Following utility software developed at the Centre in order to carry out data transfer and union database development activities:
- Union Catalog Management System (UCMS) a Windows based s/w developed for duplicate check, error corrections and Uploading of data. Prior to development of SOUL software by using CDS/ISIS:
- To search the data from union databases (OPAC)
- Catalogue card generation (using CDS/ISIS, prior to SOUL development).
- Duplicate checking of records.
- Customised software for Books, Theses, Serials.
- Data Conversion from dBase, FoxPro and text file to ISO-2709 format.