Open Source Software
Objectives and Responsibility:
The Open Source Software Group is set-up an Open Source Software Learning Centre so as to test and experiment with various open source software and contribute actively in its customization. The Centre is working proactively in customization of open source software for library automation, institutional repository, digital library, content management, etc. The Group imparts training on implementation of library-related open source software to manpower from universities and academic institutions. The Group also provides proactive help and support to universities in implementation of open source software. The Group works actively to spread the philosophy of FOSS and increase its effective usage.
The Centre took a cautious decision to move all its critical operations from commercial software to open source software including software that are used for office operations as well as those that are used for web services and web hosting. As a first step in this direction, Open Office was implemented in place of Microsoft Office in the Centre. All the databases at the INFLIBNET Centre are hosted on MySQL, an open source software. All the websites of the INFLIBNET Centre including its main website, Consortium website, SOUL, Union Database are designed using open source software solutions including Apache, MySQL, Tomcat, PHP, Java Script, PERL, etc.
The Centre has entered the world of Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 by installing open source software that facilitates interaction, collaboration and cooperation between the INFLIBNET Centre and its users.
- Promote use of open source software within the Centre as well as amongst the entire higher education community in Inda
- Impart training on various open source software in library automation, institutional repository, digital library, content management, etc.
- Customize open source software as per the requirement of the Centre as well as that of customers.
- Extend proactive help and support to universities in implementation of open source software.
- Spread the philosophy of FOSS and to promote its effective usage